Do you ever feel like a plastic bag, drifting through the wind, wanting to start again? -Katy Perry, “Firework”
As I’ve shared before, I’ve picked up interesting quirks and habits from family and friends. The life hack I’m going to share with you today has been passed down in my family for generations… I’m just kidding!
Coming from a big family, there was always a big pile of plastic grocery bags after a trip to the supermarket. For as long as I can remember, I would see my grandma or my mom sitting at the kitchen table, and the pile of plastic bags would magically diminish! Then I was enlightened on the sacred technique of folding plastic bags, and my life has never been the same again!
I never thought of it as a life hack. Growing up, I simply assumed that other people did this trick as well. But whenever I encountered a plastic bag, I couldn’t help but fold it in this special way. Wherever I went, people were amazed at this helpful technique to fold plastic bags. I have spread the gospel of the folded plastic bag far and wide, and now I give this good news to you!
1. Get a plastic grocery bag.
2. Flatten out plastic bag.
3. Fold bag in half, lengthwise.
4. Fold bag in half again.
5. Fold bag again if desired, so that bag is about 1 inch wide when folded.
6. Fold in one corner to the opposite edge to create a triangular end.
7. Fold triangle up along fold vertically.
8. Fold triangle up along the edge horizontally.
9. Continue to fold alternately along the triangle’s vertical and horizontal edges.
10. Fold all the way up to the handles of the bag
11. Take the handles of the bag…
12. Twist the handles of the bag numerous times, leaving enough room for the triangle to fit through.
13. Wrap the handle around the triangle.
14. Ta-dah! Now you have a plastic bag that be stored anywhere!
This is a simple way to store your plastic grocery bags, and it saves a lot of space too! Plastic bags will no longer be in a bulky pile tucked away in a drawer. It’s also a practical thing to do to kill time. Once in a while, I take out unfolded plastic bags from my apartment’s plastic bag drawer, sit on the floor, and fold them while I watch and episode of Law & Order: SVU. These folded bags are easy to unravel so that they can be re-used. I like to keep a couple in my car or in my suitcase, because plastic bags are always useful! Plastic bags will no longer have to drift through the wind, give them a new start!
- Stores would pass cost of ban or fee on plastic bags to customers (nj.com)
- Iowa grannies push city-wide ban on plastic bags (qctimes.com)